Wednesday, April 23, 2014





Thank you Queer Town Abbey for hosting the Is It Summer Yet Blog Hop--with prizes!  Check out Erato author Dean Pace-Frech's summer memories, then click the link below and enter to win prizes from Queer Town Abbey! 

The best summer memories I have are those that I spent reading. I spent more time in the library than I did outside (and that was the 80s before Internet!). When I was in grade school, I read one of my favorite chapterbook series was the Little House books. In middle school, I went directly from the Little House books to adult historical fiction. I read Roots when I was thirteen or fourteen (wowza!) Then I found John Jakes and read him throughout high school. There wasn’t a YA category back then, and there weren’t certainly any books where an GLBT characters. Well, there were, but they were secondary and most of the time they were antagonistic villains.
 
Anyway, that’s how I spent my summers. It’s no wonder I write m\m historical romances--not the history you were taught in school.
 
 
 
l dean pace-frech, author
Not the history you were taught
A Place to Call Their Own available from Musa Publishing
Disappear With Me available from Musa Publishing



Excerpt:

“Are you not a scholar?” Weeks asked. “Do you not know the Bible that you preach from each Sunday?”
“I know it very well,” Leander answered. “But the Bible has many interpretations. I think you can guess that mine might be a little less than conventional.”
Weeks reclined back in his chair. He made a steeple with his fingers and rested them on his pursed lips. “You’re actually sitting here telling me that, as a man of God, you’re alright with buggery and feel you’ve done nothing wrong?”
“Mr. Weeks, do you realize you keep asking me the same question over again, using different words?”
“As your counsel, I need to be sure that I understand your position, the one you expect me to defend.”
“You sound shocked that I would suggest such a thing. I can’t have you defending me if you don’t believe it yourself.”
“Reverend, my beliefs about the situation are irrelevant; it doesn’t matter what I believe. I need to be able to defend our position in court and hope our defense can refute what the prosecution will present.”
“I have to have conviction in my sermons each Sunday morning. I think you also know you need to have conviction when defending your clients.”
“And I can assure you that I have that same conviction to make sure that you receive a fair trial. I will do my best—”
“Do your best to what? Go through the motions and make sure that the I’s are dotted and the T’s are crossed so it looks like I’ve been given a good defense?”
Weeks didn’t answer and that was all the answer that Leander needed. After a moment, Weeks tried to start again. “Look, Reverend, I am your assigned counsel for this trial. I am on your side. I want to see you get a fair trial, but you must understand what we’re up against is quite overwhelming.”
“I know; I’ve never done anything the simple way.”
“Sir, you must understand that we are going up against laws that are rooted in two thousand years of Christian tradition and about as many years of British attitude.”
“Mr. Weeks, do you love your wife?”
Weeks let out an impatient sigh. “Of course, but here you go asking intimate questions about me that have no bearing on my defending your case.”
“Humor me, sir. Do you love your wife?”
“Yes, I very much love my wife and family.”
“What if you woke up tomorrow and a constable showed up on your doorstep and arrested you because they said the love you share with your wife was illegal?”
Weeks didn’t answer him. Instead, in a quiet voice, he said, “You know you and I are just two people. We’re not going to change these laws overnight.”
- See more at: http://musapublishing.com/index.php?







Below are the authors who have joined us in the Is It Summer Yet? Blog Hop Please CLICK ON THE LINK ABOVE to visit all these authors.

Don't forget to visit Queer Town Abbey to register for prizes!

http://queertownabbey.com/is-it-summer-yet-blog-hop/

1. Westbrooke Jameson  9. Tara Lain  17. Annie Anthony  
2. Alina Popescu  10. Anna Butler  18. Megan Slayer  
3. Sarah Madison  11. RJ Scott  19. cathy brockman  
4. Amelia Bishop  12. V.L. Locey  20. Berengaria Brown  
5. Mia Kerick  13. Gale Stanley  21. Alicia Joseph  
6. Susan Mac Nicol  14. Dianne Hartsock  22. Jayson James  
7. Jess Buffett  15. T.M. Smith  23. Erato GLBTQ Imprint Musa Publishing  
8. Remmy Duchene  16. may water  24. Iyana Jenna  

2 comments:

  1. If I was outside in the summer, chances are I was reading. :) Intriguing excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer was always spent at my Aunt and Uncles house near the beach. Myself, my sister and cousins spent all the time outdoors we were expected to be out all day and only come home for lunch and then before dark.

    ShirleyAnn@speakman40.freeserve.co.uk

    ReplyDelete